旧東海銀行発行絵はがきより
広小路通り旧東海銀行付近
(昭和30年代前半)
名古屋は、徳川家康が慶長17年(1612年)頃、城下に碁盤割の町を築きそれまでの尾張の本拠地であった清洲から「清洲越」を行ったことに始まります。

広小路の名は、万治3年(1660年)に城下の半分を焼き尽くした「万治の大火」を機に、碁盤割南端の堀切筋(久屋町〜長者町間)の道幅を3間(約5m)から約15間(約27m)に広げたことに由来します。当時は縁日などがたって、庶民の娯楽の場としてにぎわいました。

明治になって多くの人が集まる栄地区と東海道本線の名古屋駅とを結ぶ幹線道路として整備され、また全国で2番目に路面電車が開通するなど、名古屋随一の目抜き通りとして栄え、名実共に近代以降の名古屋の発展の軸となってきたメインストリートです。

この広小路通は(1989年)開催の世界デザイン博覧会を契機に、電線の地中化、歩道修景などの道路整備を実施し、沿道商店街による歩道照明灯の設置や沿道建築物の景観への協力を得ながら、市民一体となった街並の整備が進められています。

平成8年8月8日 名古屋市


Nagoya began in 1612 as a castle town built in a grid pattern by the 1st Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu,who moved the family seat of the Owari clan from Kiyosu to Nagoya, a move known as the"Kiyosu-goshi".
The name of Hirokoji or widened small street, has its origins in the 1660 Great Manji Fire in which half of the castle town was burned The Horikiri road at the south edge of the grid (Hisaya-cho to Choja-machi) was widened from 5 meters to 27 meters. During festival days, Hirokoji-dori would be througed width people, the center of amusement and recreation.
During the Meiji period, Hirokoji-dori serverd as the principle link between the busy, central district of Sakae and the Nagoya Station area, to which the Tokaido Honsen reailroad led. With the opening of the nation's 2nd street car service, Hirokoji-dori flourished as Nagoya's main road and was the core of Nagoyan development a "Main The monument of Hirokoji-dori in SakaeStreet" in both name and reality.
With the holding of the World Design Expo in 1989 many road improvements were realized, such as the burial of electrical service wires and street landscaping, as well as the installation of decorative lights along the roadside shops. With the cooperation fo the community,the buildings aling Hirokoji-dori were beautified, and we continue to further the improvement of Hirokoji-dori.

Aug.8,1996 City of Nagoya





| カバーページ | イントロダクション | 広小路通りの歴史 | ホーム |